Crystal Rivas                                                                                                October 3, 2008

ENG 11  Section: 1853

Dr Sedore

Journal #2

Keys for Writers 

“Chapter 7 (Common Sentence Problems)”

Pronouns   A pronoun represents a noun or a noun phrase.  In writing, a pronoun refers to its antecedent that is, a noun or noun phrase appearing just before it in the text.”  

(358)

As time progresses, I forget words like noun, verb and pronoun.  After all these years, writing a structured sentence has become natural to me.  After reading this definition for Pronoun, I was inspired to test myself.  I wrote out five sentences and identified the pronouns.  I searched one of the books I am presently reading and underlined some of the pronouns I found to gain a better understanding of it.  It was actually a very entertaining activity.  I hope doing this will prevent me from forgetting the definition of Pronoun and its use.

Interjections    Words that express emotion and can stand alone –Ha! Wow! Ugh! Ouch! Say! – Are called interjections.  Interjections are not used frequently in academic writing.  The more formal ones (such as alas, oh) are sometimes used in poetry”

(360)

Wow! I never understood what interjections really were.  I write in my spare time and my favorite things to use are interjections.  I enjoy how in one word you can state so much emotion, enthusiasm, and understanding.  It’s surprising to me how I can do something for so long without ever really knowing what it is.  Interjection to me seems like such a complicated word, yet hidden behind it is the simplest of meanings.

“Take care with words such as only.   Place only, even, just, nearly, not, merely, or simply immediately before the word it modifies.”

(371)

I didn’t know that words such as, only, even, just, nearly, not, merely and simply were called modifiers.  The example used to express this statement to me really cleared it up for me.  “She only likes ^ Tom.  [Tom is the only one she likes.]”   I’m surprised to find that the meaning of a sentence changes when the position of only changes.  I never focused on placing these words properly.  Where ever the word sounded proper is where I’d place it in the sentence.  But now I know better as I look back at all my writing and analyze it with my new found knowledge. 

“In the active voice, the grammatical subject is the doer of the action, and the sentence tells “who’s doing what.” The passive voice tells what “is done to” the subject of the sentence.  The person or thing doing the action may or may not be mentioned but is always implied: “My car was repaired” (by somebody at the garage).”

(396)

It’s really interesting to me how something like a passive voice and active voice can be used in writing.  I find that I prefer to use the active voice in my writing.  It’s easy and direct.   I feel that it flows better and leaves no questions to ponder.   It’s odd really, the fact that it’s called an active or passive voice when voices aren’t really used. 

“In a compound subject or compound object with and: I or me; he or him?  To decide which pronoun form to use with a compound subject or compound object, mentally recast the sentence with only the pronoun in the subject or object position.”

(409)

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve always found myself struggling with, I or me; he or him.  I have to think hard about whether I should put I or me in one of my sentences.  This quote explains it to me in a much more understanding way but I’m still fuzzy on the matter.   I write sentences such as, “Kim and I went to the park.”  I’ll read this statement again and again and question whether I should replace I with me.  Eventually it’ll bug me for so long that I’ll become frustrated and do the changes.  Sometimes I’m right and other times I’m wrong.  I tend of psyche myself out.