Darius Muniz

Professor Weber

Ant 11, Section 3201

March 1, 2009

"Frying Pan Use-Wear Analysis"

I based my description on a common household frying pan.  Frying pans are generally used for cooking food for consumption. This frying pan in particular is generally black in color at it's base and is circular in shape.  The handle is a bright crome color and is made of solid aluminum as is the base of the frying pan itself. The pan has a heavy feel to it and for lack of proper weighing equipment, I would judge by hand to be about 4-7 pounds.  This factor would suggest that this frying pan was designed for heavy duty cooking.  Also to suggest this would be the solid construction and materials used in creating it.

As I examine further, I notice that this frying pan is bowl like in features and would suggest that it was primarily used with oil.  Another factor which supports this would be the rust like discoloration found along the edges of the inside of the pan, the base of the handle, and the outside ridges of the object.

When sliding my fingers over the inside surface, I can notice niches and scratches covering most of the bottom of the pan.  An object of this material, which is of

heavy construction, wouldn't of been damaged easily so an object of equal or greater hardness would have been used to create these grooves in its surface.  I would speculate through experience that it was most likely a fork, a knife or some similar eating utensil.

Flipping the frying pan over I notice a layer of caked on grease.  Most likely remnants of years of splashed oil from deep frying.  The layer is sticky to the touch and is not easily removed.  which is strange since it was just washed.

Also, there are multiple rings shrinking in succession, which are a different shade

of black then the rest of the surface.  This fact lead me to believe , since it's an exact match for the stove top in the kitchen, that these rings were created by the constant heat placed on the bottom of the frting pan by the sove top.  After careful examination, I could not find any marks that were unexplainable through logic and experience.

I will end my analysis with the exact measurements of the object and I will be using an ordinary measuring tape to accomplish this.  Starting at the base of the frying pan it is 10 in a half inches in width.  From the base to the edge of the handle it  measured 17 in a half inches in length. This object, apparent to me, is a constanly used frying pan and has seen it's fare share of cooking bouts.  A fact that supports this is the rust like discoloration found on the base as well as portions of the handle.  From the overall wear and tear on this object and it's purchase date of 1998, I would say that it has stood up well to the test of

time.  I would contribute to this fact to materials used and sturdy construction, which would allow for long life and durability.