Darius Muniz

Professor Godfrey

Research Methods I

January 26th, 2011                                                           

Darius Muniz

I am a second year sophomore transferring from Bronx Community College and this is my second semester at New York University.

My academic and professional interests are geared towards counseling psychology for mental health and wellness- I hope to learn intimately the different approaches to counseling therapy from existential, gestalt, to person centered, from psychoanalytic, behavioral, to cognitive behavioral therapies. My goal is to achieve a broad and working knowledge of these therapeutic approaches and to be able to integrate and adapt different aspects of each to help clients successfully achieve positive therapeutic outcomes. Helping people cope with everyday problems and opening their eyes to their unique potentials and strengths has been an important role in my life and a driving force in helping to improve the lives of others.

I have a passion for life that is only exceeded by my desire to help others succeed. I like to dance and listen to music, I like to read and open up the worlds that stories provoke to the imagination, I like to have fun and enjoy the laughter of others, and I like to love and be loved. All of these things make me who I am and I wouldn’t trade it for the world…

The most interesting aspect of research is being able to produce knowledge that is complimented by concrete proof through experimentation, data collection, and analysis. The more we learn about ourselves and our environment the more we can create a positive and nurturing future for generations to come. The most challenging aspect of research is in producing accurate and pure from error results that represents knowledge in its unbiased and untainted form. This I think is the difference between what we think is truth and what we know is truth.

I have taken statistics I last term along with research methods I with Dr. Sirin. I missed the final exam for RM I and hence failed the class. This term I am retaking RM I and also am taking Field Work I. Though failing RM I has left a negative impact on my G.P.A., I look forward to experiencing a different teaching style and passion for this field and seeing the impact it has on my learning process. From our first classes energy, level of involvement, and interaction, I foresee good things from this course and am confident I will achieve in accordance with my potential.