Bronx Community College has been the initial entranceway to a world of enlightenment and personal evolution in every aspect of my life. Through the teachings and progressive lesson plans articulated by well qualified professors, the education I am receiving would probably rival those of most well known four year institutions. From the beginning process of applying, to registration, and finally attending your classes for the first time, can be a frustrating and nerve racking experience for the uninformed student. Bronx Community College s’ step by step process and full advising staff are instrumental in alleviating the counterproductive feelings of the new and unknown that every student initially experiences in a unfamiliar environment.

I began my studies at Bronx Community College in the spring 2009 term with an initial roster of 5 classes and followed up with three classes over the summer. I feel the learning process should be continuous and hence I strive to utilize as much time as possible towards achieving my associates’ degree in liberal arts/psychology, while raising my 5 year old daughter in which whom my life revolves around. Maintaining my GPA, which is currently a 3.889, has been a combination of hard work and dedication mixed with the full time job of being a single parent and the determination for providing an inspired future for her to follow.

For the fall 2009 term I have progressed through six classes, three of which were honors courses, and upon completion my total number of credits will be at thirty seven. I am currently taking 6 classes for eighteen credits for spring 2010 and have continued to take honors level courses for this has proven to be the best environment for developing my academic skills.

For my next step after I graduate, I am currently looking into the CCTOP program offered by NYU’s Steinhardt School to study for my B.S. in applied psychology. Under their honors program, which is research intensive and requires a 3.7 G.P.A. for acceptance, I intend to shape the path for my future in the field of psychology. My overall goal is to follow suit with a master’s degree in psychology and to teach at the college level as I work towards my Ph.D in clinical psychology and state certification to practice.

As a father of a 5 year old daughter and a native resident of the Bronx, I have gone through many changes in personality to adapt to the ever changing environment in which I live. And due to these tests of character and life experiences, I feel I have acquired the social skills and motivation necessary to make any goal I set my sights on, regardless of financial strife, a reality. Since the lives of my children are interdependent on the paths I choose to lead my life down, the need for success is instilled in my daily activities in working towards a better future for them.

Through hard work, dedication, and an unrelenting motivation to become a productive member of society, I have proven to myself that as long as I put my heart and soul into every endeavor I choose to pursue, that the unimaginable can become reality. A person is only unlocked with the means of education and through which the definition of self is realized.