About Honors Program Scholars
This component of the Honors Program is designed to enhance the educational experience for highly motivated students. Honors Program Scholars are challenged to make full use of their intellectual gifts and to develop their creative, analytical, problem-solving, communication, and leadership skills. The Honors Program is seeking qualified students to become Honors Program Scholars.
Apply to become an Honors Program Scholar at BCC
Bronx Community College Honors Program is looking for students who:
- Love learning
- Are intellectually curious
- Possess initiative
- Are highly motivated
- Have a good work ethic
- Or have other outstanding qualities that qualify them for the program
Benefits of becoming an Honors Program Scholar Candidate
Students accepted to be an Honors Program Scholar Candidate will enjoy a range of benefits, including:
- Ability to take honors courses with a community of equally motivated students
- Honors credit notation on your transcript
- A personal ePortfolio account
- Invitation to participate in the Honors Program Student Advisory Committee that promotes the Honors Program and recruits other exceptional students
- Letters of recommendation for transfer to four-year colleges or for employment
- Informed of academic scholarships
- Honors Program Scholar certificate, gold cord and medal at graduation
Am I eligible to apply to become an Honors Program Scholar Candidate?
The requirements to apply to become an Honors Program Scholar Candidate are as follows:
- A 3.4 or higher GPA with nine or more college credits
- The completion of or currently enrolled in an honors course or honors contract
If you meet these requirements you are eligible to apply to become an Honors Program Scholar Candidate and to have your record reviewed by the Honors Program Coordinators.
The application process includes an online form, essay and an interview with the Honors Program Coordinators.
What are the requirements to graduate as an Honors Program Scholar?
To graduate from Bronx Community College as an Honors Program Scholar, you will have to complete the following requirements:
- Apply to the program and be admitted by the Honors Program Coordinators
- Complete four or more honors courses or honors contracts with a minimum of 12 college credits (each with a grade of B+ or higher)
- Complete a community engagement project, either on or off campus.
- Complete a capstone Honors Program Scholar ePortfolio
- Meet regularly with the Honors Program Coordinators
Fulfill Your Potential!
As an Honors Program Scholar Candidate at BCC, you will learn the skills you need to succeed in a four-year college or in a chosen career. You will also be eligible to participate in special events tailored to your needs. Colleges will know that you are a unique student with exceptional achievements. You will learn that they are capable of work you never thought you could do. By realizing your full academic potential, you can also realize new and better career opportunities. The Honors Program will encourage you to think and work independently. It can give you a new outlook on life and help you in planning for the future. As a Honors Program Scholar Candidate, you will have the opportunity to make new friends, who have similar interests and ambitions. Finally, the Honors Program and its faculty will help create a learning experience that can propel you to your true potential. Take advantage of it!