About Honors Scholars
The Honors Scholar Program is designed to enhance the educational experience for highly motivated students. The Honors Scholar Program challenges students to make full use of their intellectual gifts and to develop their creative, analytical, problem-solving, communication, and leadership skills. The Honors Program is seeking qualified candidates to join the Honors Scholar Program.
Apply to become an Honors Scholar at BCC
Bronx Community College Honors Program is looking for students who:
- Love learning
- Are intellectually curious
- Possess initiative
- Are highly motivated
- Have a good work ethic
- Or have other outstanding qualities that qualify them for the program
Benefits of Joining the Honors Scholar Program
Students admitted into the Honors Scholar Program will enjoy a range of benefits, including:
- Ability to take honors courses with a community of equally motivated students
- Honors course notation on your transcript
- A personal ePortfolio account
- Invitation to participate in the Honors Program Student Advisory Committee that promotes the Honors Program and recruits other exceptional students
- Letters of recommendation for transfer to four-year colleges or for employment
- Be informed of academic scholarships
- Honors Scholar certificate, golden cord and medallion at graduation
Am I eligible to apply to become an Honors Scholar?
While a 3.0 GPA is required for a student to register for an Honors Course, the requirement to become an Honors Scholar is a 3.2 or higher GPA with nine or more college credits. If you meet these requirements you are eligible to apply to become an Honors Scholar and to have your record reviewed by the Honors Program Co-Coordinators.
What are the requirements to graduate as an Honors Scholar?
To graduate from Bronx Community College as an Honors Scholar, you will have to complete the following requirements:
- Apply to the program and be admitted by the Honors Program Co-Coordinators
- Complete four or more honors courses or honors contracts with a grade of B+ or higher
- Complete a "beyond the classroom" project, either on or off campus.
- Complete a capstone Honors Scholar ePortfolio
Fulfill Your Potential!
As a member of the Honors Scholar Program at BCC, you will learn the skills you need to succeed in a four-year college or in a chosen career. You will also be eligible to participate in special events tailored to your needs. And colleges will know that you are a unique student with exceptional achievements. You will learn that they are capable of work you never thought you could do. By realizing your full academic potential, you can also realize new and better career opportunities. The Honors Scholar Program will encourage you to think and work independently. It can give you a new outlook on life and help you in planning for the future. As a member of the Honors Scholar Program, you will have the opportunity to make new friends, who have similar interests and ambitions. Finally, the Honors Program and its faculty and staff will help create a learning experience that can propel you to your true potential. Take advantage of it!