2016-2017 Writing Fellows

David Bridges

I am a PhD candidate in Music Composition at the CUNY 

Graduate Center. My dissertation is focusing on the use of the chromatic lower neighbor motion as an agent in creating an isomorphic structure and dramatic locus in Stravinsky’s The Fairy’s Kiss and exploring the intertext of this work's motives and topoi in relation to Tchaikovsky's art songs and children's piano pieces.  As a composer, clarinetist, and conductor I have worked with many performers and ensembles and currently am on the board of directors for The Astoria Choir. I have taught music appreciation and various music theory courses at the Brooklyn College Conservatory. As a returning WAC Fellow I will continue working with faculty to develop effective writing techniques for their classes, keep oversee the Thesis-WAC collaboration, and facilitate workshops for faculty and students.

Syelle Graves

I am a PhD candidate in linguistics at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, where I earned my M.Phil. and M.A. in linguistics. My dissertation investigates the language attitudes/rapid language change (sociolinguistics) and semantics of discourse markers.

Previously, I was on faculty at LaGuardia College, after serving as a linguistics index editor for the International Bibliography of the Modern Language Association. I am also a “WAC veteran”: I served as a WAC fellow at the New York City College of Technology from 2013 to 2014, where my team focused on faculty workshops in writing pedagogy. Earlier, I completed a Graduate Teaching Fellowship at Hunter College, teaching linguistics, ESL, and writing. I also served as lab manager at the Language Acquisition Research Center in the Hunter College Department of Psychology. I graduated Summa Cum Laude from SUNY New Paltz with a Bachelor’s degree in French. Now, I enjoy dance, volunteering, cooking, and writing fun linguistics web guides.

At B.C.C., I serve as liaison to the departments of English and Business.

Eleanor Luken

I am a PhD candidate in Environmental Psychology at the Graduate Center, CUNY. My dissertation research investigates the home environments of family day care providers and the contradictions of paid care work. I am an Assistant Professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology in the Sustainable Interior Environments program and have also taught at Hunter College and City College. I bring an interdisciplinary perspective to my research in teaching; I hold an M.S. Architecture from the University of Cincinnati and have experience in early childhood pedagogy and educational spaces.

I am delighted to join the BCC community as  WAC fellow; I enjoy consulting with faculty on assignment and lesson design and working one-on-one with students on their writing projects. I serve as a WAC liaison to the Psychology, Sociology, and Education departments.

Heather Mir

I am a PhD candidate from the Graduate Center of the City University of New York. My primary concentrations are International Relations and American politics. In particular, I am interested in the United Nations and global governance. My undergraduate degree is in History. In 2012, I graduated from Southern Connecticut State University with a M.S. in English and a M.A. in Women's Studies. During my tenure as a Masters student, I was a graduate research fellow for my work on Jean Rhys and Rachel Carson. In addition, I was a graduate assistant in Women's Studies for one year. Throughout my fellowship at the Graduate Center, I have enjoyed teaching at numerous CUNY campuses including Baruch College, John Jay School of Criminal Justice and City College of New York.

Ean Oesterle

I am a PhD candidate in History at the CUNY, Graduate Center.  I focus on 20th century US immigration policy, race and the State.  

My dissertation is on the implementation of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.  In particular, I examine the the role of voluntary organizations and their relationships with the federal government and the immigrants they served.   At Lehman College I taught an interdisciplinary American Studies course on migration and identity that focused on migrant fiction and autobiographies within various political and social contexts.  

As a writing fellow, I am a liason to the BCC history department.  My goal is to help faculty incorporate activities in their courses that utilize the "writing to learn" philosophy of WAC.  I also hope to work with students to develop effective peer review strategies. 

Kate Pendoley

I am a PhD candidate in Philosophy at the CUNY Graduate Center. My research investigates the place of emotions in the mind by focusing on emotion regulation and conscious awareness of emotion. I taught philosophy courses at Brooklyn College for three years and I am currently teaching in the Philosophy Department at Hunter College.

As a WAC Fellow at BCC I consult with faculty about syllabus and assignment design and writing-oriented teaching techniques. My goal is to support faculty in developing methods to cultivate students' critical thinking and ownership of their education through writing. I serve as a liaison to courses in Philosophy, Biology, and Physics.